Sunday, September 8, 2013

Peanut Ginger Quinoa



I have been making my version for lunch a couple times a week. So easy, and it really doesn't need exact measurements (which is always the sign of great recipe for me!). You can add/remove whatever veggies you like. I made a couple substitutions/omissions to the original (I detest cilantro, so this always gets removed from my recipes), so here is my version:

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • handful shredded cabbage, depending on how much crunch you like 
  • ½ red onion, diced (if I have it on hand, if not, it's not necessary) 
  • handful shredded carrots (again, if I have it) 
  • ¼ cup diced green onions (again, if I have it) 
  • handful of peanuts (I use reduced-sodium roasted peanuts) 
  • handful of edamame (I keep the Trader's Joes cooked ones in the freezer, then just thaw in the microwave) 
  • Fresh lime, for a bit of tang 

For the dressing:

  • ¼ cup all natural peanut butter (I just scoop out a spoonful) 
  • 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger (I'm lazy, so I just put in a few dashes of the jarred ginger) 
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce 
  • 1 tablespoon honey (I just squirt a small amount in) 
  • 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I like the tang, so I use more than the original) 
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil 
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

Cook quinoa according to package directions (tip: ALWAYS rinse first). 

In a large bowl, just dump the veggies and dressing ingredients together while the quinoa is cooking. 

Once quinoa is done, pour it into the large bowl and stir everything til combined. I usually eat about half, and save the rest in the fridge for the next day. 

Original Recipe: Ambitious Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment